Managing your Farm
Today, Halderman Farm Management Service, Inc. (HFMS) provides complete or partial management services to over 650 farms with a market value in excess of $1.5 billion across the United States and Canada. Consulting and financial services are also provided to many other clients annually. All services performed are customized on an individual basis.
Professional Farm Management
Farm management services range from an occasional consultation to complete management of a farm operation. A client requesting complete management services could expect HFMS to do the following:
- Become familiar with the farm and the farm owner, along with their expectations for the operation
- Perform a complete inspection of the farm
- Make recommendations regarding lease, utilizing an extensive lease analysis tool
- Locate the best qualified operator (if necessary) or work with the present operator
- Work with the operator to determine optimum crop rotations and tillage practices
- Maintain and/or implement soil conservation systems, structures and processes
- Market all commodities, including, but not limited to, grain and livestock
- Establish and negotiate end-user marketing arrangements and contracts
- Monitor participation in and compliance with applicable government programs
- Work with the tenant and chemical applicator to maintain required pesticide usage documents
- Monitor the farm for good environmental stewardship and implement proactive environmental processes where appropriate
- Recommend, and if approved, implement appropriate measures for land use restrictions
- Develop a soil fertility testing and monitoring program
- Timber management and sales
- Manage and maintain homes, grain storage, livestock facilities, and other improvements
- Improve and maintain property for future development interests (where applicable)
- Communicate regularly with the client according to the client’s preferred schedule and method of communication.
- Maintain a farm bank account, deposit all receipts and pay all expenses according to the client’s goals.
- Deliver quarterly or monthly financial reports for the farm operation.
Financial Analysis and Consultation
HFMS has utilized computer technology and many years of experience in the farm management field to develop programs and templates specifically designed to address the financial status of a farm. The modern day challenges of farm management are often best served by an experienced professional who can apply knowledge of previous successful situations to an existing situation.
Consultation services can be provided for single enterprises or an entire farm operation. An analysis can include any part of a farm operation related to agronomic or financial questions.